On this Winter Solstice, the RECON Team wanted to wish all a happy holiday season!!!
We are extremely grateful to all of our RECON students, teachers, amateur astronomers and community members who have contributed to this year’s activities. Below is a quick RECON Year in Review!
- January – First campaign (03WL7) clouded out by precursor to Snowzilla blizzard
- February – Implementation of new cwrsync tool to upload video files completed
- March – Manuscript on RECON Network published in The Astronomical Journal
- May – A busy campaign month!
- June – Our final campaign of the 2015-16 school year (08JO41)
- July – Two optional events involving Quaoar
- August – 70+ team members join for RECON Team Meeting in Carson City
- September – Implementation of automated campaign signup and reporting forms
- October – First campaign event of the new academic year (12UT68)
- November – Early morning campaign before Thanksgiving (08FC76)
- December – Final event of year (14UT114) mostly clouded out but second manuscript published in The Astronomical Journal
All together, we attempted 8 full network campaigns, set up essential data infrastructure for RECON campaigns, and published 2 manuscripts in The Astronomical Journal. With most video files now uploaded into the RECON database, we are currently busy analyzing video from the above events as we prepare for our upcoming January 2017 campaigns.
In addition to our team meeting in Nevada, John had the pleasure of visiting sites in Oregon, Northern California, Owens Valley, and along the Colorado River while Marc visited sites in both Washington and Arizona. We also has a new team join from Wildwood School in Los Angeles. Throughout all of our interactions, we continue to be impressed by the dedication and enthusiasm of our RECON communities!
Wishing you the warmest of holidays!!!
John, Marc, Ilianna, Diana, Matthew, Audrey, and Jeralyn